Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wiggin's Pass Slam 3/23
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:28 am 

I launched at Coccohatchee Park around 8AM. The bait shop is closed but they are there to sell gas to the boaters. Normally I pay a $4 launch fee but as I was checking out the self-pay machine I guy from the Baitshop told me not to worry about the fee so I launched. I did a slow drift away from the launch getting a couple of hits before catching an 18" redfish. After having no luck fishing the bay west of the launch I headed to the channel to fish the mangrove islands. I caught 1 small trout and a decent one at 18 inches. I then lost a nice snook before catching a smaller one to complete the slam. I caught a couple more trout and a few ladyfish before heading in.

The weather was great and the water was crystal clear. I talked to a couple kayak fishermen who were killing it using live pinfish. We talked about how lucky we were to have fishing as an outlet to keep our minds off of all the coronavirus news surrounding us.

By the way, on Sunday I drove around to my launches to see what was opened and what was not. Lover's Key boat launch is closed. The small launch by Little Carlos Pass is blocked with road equipment. The parking lot by the Big Hickory Grill leading to the launch is closed. The beach on the southwest side of the New Pass Bridge has the gate locked. There are a couple of other ways to get to Hickory Pass but they are usually packed with people and several kayak rental companies. Hopefully, in April the crowds will thin out and I'll start using those entry points.

Keep your self safe!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm 

Glad to see someone is doing some fishing. Sounds like a good day. Hope to see more reports since I am stuck at home with the kids for another month or so. Need to live vicariously through you guys for a while.